Best Bariatric Treatment | Medical Tourism | Surgery - India

Bariatric surgery, also known as weight loss surgery, includes a number of procedures performed on the stomach and the intestines to help severely obese people lose weight. When diet and physical exercise alone are unable to help these severely obese people lose weight, bariatric surgery is used to lose and manage weight in a planned manner. It is particularly an option for people who have a body mass index (BMI) above 40, or for people having a BMI between 35 and 40 along with health problems like type 2 diabetes, heart disease or severe sleep disorders. Bariatric surgery followed by healthy eating and lifestyle changes may lower death rates for patients with severe obesity.

Get Quote

Bariatric surgical procedures work on the basic principle of restricting the amount of food the stomach can hold, and decreasing the absorption of food in the intestines.  The most common bariatric surgery procedures are as follows –   

 

Gastric bypass surgery: In this surgery, a part of the stomach is cut away (leaving behind only 5% of the stomach in the form of a small pocket) to reduce the amount of food that a person can eat. At the time of digestion, the food empties from this small stomach pocket directly into the upper intestine. A patient generally loses around 60 to 80% weight with this procedure.

 

Gastric sleeve (Sleeve gastrectomy): In this surgery, around 85% of the stomach is removed and the remaining 15% is left behind in the form of a sleeve or tube-like structure. This procedure permanently restricts the amount of food the stomach can hold. It is generally performed via laparoscopy and the patient recovers in a relatively short hospital stay.

 

LAP-BAND surgery: In this surgery, an adjustable band called a lap-band is placed around the top portion of the stomach. This band is actually a silicone device that divides the stomach into two unequal parts. After this surgery, the eaten food remains only in the upper part of the stomach, making the patient feel full until the food slowly passes into the lower part. Thus, the surgery restricts food intake and slows down food consumption leading to weight loss.

 

Biliopancreatic diversion: In this surgery, part of the stomach is removed and the rest is connected to the lower part of the small intestine. As a result of a smaller stomach, the patient feels full with a smaller amount of food, and the eaten food is not fully absorbed in the intestine. This surgery is mainly used in people who are more than severely obese, and have a BMI of 50 or higher.

 

Most weight loss surgeries today are performed using minimally invasive techniques (laparoscopic surgeries) such as SILS (Single Incision Laparoscopic Surgery), endoscopic bariatric surgery etc.

 

After the above weight loss surgeries, you are required to adopt a healthy lifestyle including dietary changes and increased physical activity to maintain weight loss. The weight reduction surgery helps you change your dietary habits by making you feel full after a small meal, so that it is easier for you to control your diet.

 

With a wide array of top-notch hospitals and internationally trained well known doctors, India offers world-class bariatric surgery treatments as well as diet and nutrition guidance at extremely affordable prices, making it a one-stop destination for obese patients looking for weight loss surgeries. 

Get Quote