Best Urology Treatment | Medical Tourism In India
Urology is specialty branch of medicine that deals with the surgical and medical treatment of diseases of the female and male urinary tracts, and male reproductive organs.Get Quote
It deals with medical management of diseases like benign prostatic hyperplasia and urinary tract infections as well as surgical correction of birth defects, cancers and diseases that make it difficult to control urination.
Apart from general diseases of the urinary tract, urology also involves other specializations as follows –
· Pediatric urology: It deals with the treatment of urologic disorders in children. These disorders may include birth defects, improper development of genitals, backflow of urine from the urinary bladder into the kidneys etc.
· Female urology: It deals with urinary disorders in women. These disorders include inability to control urination, frequent urination, etc.
· Neurourology: A number of diseases of the brain, spinal cord, and nerves, such as Parkinson’s disease, spinal cord injury and multiple sclerosis can affect the urinary system and lead to conditions like inability to urinate or control urination. Neurourology deals with these disorders of the nervous system that affect the urinary system.
· Andrology: It deals with disorders of the male reproductive system such as erectile dysfunction, ejaculatory disorders and male infertility.
Some of the common procedures in urology are as follows –
· Bladder surgery
· Renal (kidney) surgery
· Surgery of the penis
· Removal of a kidney (nephrectomy)
· Urethra surgery
· Surgery for removal of kidney stones in the ureters (ureterolithotomy)
· Surgery of the testes
· Surgery for removal of the prostate
· Pelvic lymph node dissection
Urologic surgery is generally done when non-surgical treatments and medication are unable to relieve symptoms of urological diseases. Cancers of the kidney, bladder, or prostate, reflux of urine from the bladder into the ureters etc. are some urological diseases that require surgical correction. Nowadays urologic surgeries can be done by minimally invasive procedures i.e. by making several small incisions instead of opening up the abdomen with one large incision. These procedures are performed with the help of tiny specialized cameras that are inserted through the incision along with long handled surgical instruments.
Technological advances have also made it possible to perform surgeries with the help of robots to increase precision. This is known as robotic surgery. Some robotic surgeries in urology are as follows –
· Robotic-assisted laparoscopic radical cystectomy: This minimally invasive surgical procedure performed for bladder cancer uses the Da Vinci surgical system, where in a robotic arm is used to imitate the movements of a surgeon, and thus increase precision. The surgery is done using small incisions, made without affecting vital muscle tissue and nerve and hence results in shorter hospital stays and faster recovery time.
· Robotic-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy: This minimally invasive surgical procedure for the treatment of prostate cancer uses the DaVinci surgical robot system for removal of the prostate with few small incisions
· Robotic-assisted laparoscopic pyeloplasty: This procedure is used to repair narrowing of the area where the ureter is attached to the kidney. Like other robotic urological surgeries, this method involves smaller incisions and is reduces the duration of hospital stay.
· Robotic-assisted laparoscopic partial nephrectomy: This robotic procedure is done to remove small renal tumors. It uses much smaller incisions, helps preserve nearby kidney tissue, and involves shorter hospital stay, less post-operative pain and quick revert to daily activities.Get Quote